Applications due by January 13, 2021. Winners will be announced January 27, 2021.
- Who qualifies for these grants? Any Pre-K through 12th-grade educator who teaches at schools that are powered by Beauregard Electric Cooperative (BECi) or schools located in communities that are served by BECi. Home schools do not qualify for the grant.
- How much are the mini-grants? A mini-grant for $500 (total) will be given to six individual educators.
- How can the grant money be used? Mini-grants should be used to facilitate new, innovative, and educational programs within the classroom. Only the imagination of the educator and their students can limit subject matter for projects. The grant can be used for items that will enable the educator and their students to complete and meet the overall objective of the project, like the purchase of books, software, equipment, and supplies.
After qualification standards are met, educators must submit a one to two-page proposal outlining their program by January 13, 2021.
The following information should be included:
- Teacher’s name, home address, and phone number
- School name, address, and phone number
- Grade and number of students
- Brief estimate of expenditures that equal to $500
- A detailed description of program to include objectives and benefits to students
While there is no standard outline or form for this application, applicants are strongly encouraged to provide as much detail as possible.
Applications can be mailed to:
Attn: Educational Grant Program
P.O. Drawer 970
DeRidder, LA 70634
Or applications can be emailed to our marketing department with “Educational Grant Program” in the subject line. Applications can also be submitted online via our online form.
Identifying characteristics, such as applicant’s name and home address, will be redacted from the application, for fairness, before presented to the panel. Judging will be conducted by a panel comprised of staff from the Association of Louisiana Electric Cooperatives (ALEC) in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and Beauregard Electric staff.
Judges’ decisions will be final and based on the following:
- Feasibility of the project
- Outline of project
- Budget and financial need
- Need of the students
- Appropriateness for age and grade level
Will I need to provide documentation or a final report if I am chosen as the winner? Yes. Educational grant winners must submit a written narrative account of their project for possible publication in BECi’s Louisiana Country or other media outlets. Excerpts from students and photos are encouraged. (Proof of parents’ permission will be needed before submitting identifying photos or names of children.) These articles can be mailed or emailed to Danielle Tilley as soon as possible after the completion of the project.
Remember: The purpose of the mini-grant is to allow educators and students to create an interesting program and share their experiences with each other. If you are not chosen as the winner of this year’s mini-grant, we encourage you to apply again next year.